Saturday, May 30, 2009

Another Teenager

As occasionally happens, Devin's birthday fell on Memorial Day this year. 13 years old! Can you believe it? I want to say that it seems like yesterday but that would be a lie. It's been a rough 13 years for him but he has overcome so much and is such a fantastic guy. Since it was Memorial Day we wanted to have some families over for a BBQ, but Devin is more of a one-on-one type so we invited his good buddy Christian over. Christian is the one looking down or away in every picture. What a funny kid.

It has finally gotten hot (yay) at least for a little while so the kids took advantage of that and spent most of the day in the pool. Hey, don't laugh, it's the closest thing we have to a pool.

And then some BBQ babyback ribs. We loved them. I made enough to feed an army but somehow we managed to eat most of them. Devin and Christian were definitely helpful in that.

I thought Autumn was being anti-social. I had to get a picture of how far away she was from the rest of us. I thought she was just being too cool for us and needed to be alone with her phone. Then Rob pointed out that while the rest of us were roasting under the hot sun, she was feeling just peachy in the shade. Personally, I've been craving a day like that for so long I was happy to roast in the sun.

I really wanted to get a good picture of Devin and me on his birthday. Or even just one of him but he wasn't having that. Today I got smart. I asked him if he was in a good mood. Yes. The I asked "Are you in one of those I-love-my-mom-and-just-want-to-make-her-happy type of places?" He seemed a little suspicious but said he was. That's how I got this cute picture of my boy. Love you Devin. I'm so happy I had you 13 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. i Love love love that picture of you and Devin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin is such a great kid and a fantastic friend to Christian. I remember when Christian was having some problems at school, Devin came up to me with tears in his eyes and said he was concerned about Christian and asked what he could do to help Christian. That, is true friendship in my book. We love Devin!

    ReplyDelete