Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Caramels

My friend, Kristin, sent out a challenge to post a traditional recipe. I didn't really think this applied to me because every year I pour through cook books, magazines and web sites looking for new recipes to try. Tonight when I was making my caramels I realized that this is the one. I've had them every Christmas for as long as I can remember. I remember as a kid stirring for what felt like hours. Now that it's my turn to pass the stirring stick over to my kids I can't seem to do it. Stirring those darned caramels is just a part of Christmas. If you receive one, know that it was a labor of love. If you don't receive one, know that I ate them all.

Hostess Caramels

2 c. sugar
1/2 lb butter
1 1/3 c. corn syrup
1 can evaporated milk

Over med. heat, cook and stir to firm ball stage. Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1 c. chopped nuts (I use pecans). Pour into a well buttered 9x13 pan and chill till firm.
Yum!

5 comments:

  1. You are such a good recipe sharer (is that a word?) I may even have to try them. Not eating....making them. Do you think I could make them in my vita mix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I'll have to try those! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good...too bad I'm not as ambitious as I should be to make them myself! One other comment, loved your post about parenting and your chat with Devin. Very uplifting and made me want to try harder as a parent. And since I'm posting, I love your catch phrase, "Just Sayin'" it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stef can make them and I will eat them. There is no way I will succeed at making anything that requires paying attention on my part. :) I loved your post about the kids doing dishes. I feel the same way! But then I see how they turn everything into a game and try not to feel too guilty. You have great kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete