Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Doing dishes

Well, things have gotten busy enough for me that Rob has finally convinced me that it's okay to make the kids do more around here. For all my complaining that I'm the only one who does anything, I never seem to make them do anything. I have had this fear that my kids would grow up and talk about how their mom sat on her butt (oops, there's that word again) while they did everything. Well, now they are the lazy ones. So, last night Rob put his foot down. I was doing the dishes and discussing all the things I still had to do later and the kids were playing guitar hero. Rob about lost his cool and told them to do the dishes. I felt totally fine about it because I was clearly busy grading DOL for Siri's teacher. But right now I feel guilty as heck blogging while the kids do dishes. What's up with that? I was in the kitchen for 4 hours making Christmas treats and dinner. Before that I went to the grocery store. Before that I had a meeting to go to....etc. It's not like I don't do anything. The craziest part is that Autumn and Devin have so much fun together it only took them about 3 minutes to forget that they are oppressed and they laughed and joked the whole time.
What next? Do I dare get them to clean the bathrooms?

1 comment:

  1. Dishes, bathrooms, the possibilities are endless! One thing that I really appreciate as an adult is the work ethic that my parents instilled upon me as a kid. We forget that in a few (yes few for Autumn) they will be out on their own and they need to know how to do all those unfun things that we do. I know I'm not doing my kids any favors by doing everything for them. It's easier, and there's less whining to do it myself, but I too need to ask more of my kids. Good for you making them work. Don't feel guilty, you are doing your job as a parent to teach them these things. Wow, I think this is the longest, buttwipe, comment I ever made! Go me! Too bad there's no spell check.

    ReplyDelete