Thursday, December 11, 2008

Parenting payoff

Yesterday I had one of those moments that makes it all seem worth it. I was taking Devin to a doctor appointment and decided to ask him about some rumors I had heard about a friend of his. He says they aren't true and I hope he's right. But that's another story. Because this friend has parent issues the conversation led to his feelings about his dad being gone all the time - not as bad as I feared - and how fortunate he feels that he has a "father figure" here at home. I know that was a relief to Rob when I told him that.
The payoff came when I asked him if it bothers him that we can't give him all the monetary things his dad can. He got a little emotional and told me that what bothers him is that he can tell it bothers us. He told me he knows lots of kids that have a lot of things he won't have but that their moms are gone all the time and that it just isn't worth it to him. He said that he's glad I'm working now because it's only part time but he doesn't think he would have ever gotten healthy if I hadn't been around when he was little. Then he asked what my degree is in. I told him Psychology but that I don't want to do that anymore. I told him that I believe I was lead down that path so that I could better parent him. His response? "What a thoughtful God."
That was definitely a good parenting day.

4 comments:

  1. Devin is an amazing kid. Christian loves to hang out with him. It sounds like Devin has realized that the best things in life aren't things. My kids are still struggling with that.

    Isn't it nice to get a pay-off once in a while...to know that all your efforts aren't in vain!

    I have watched you over the years with Devin and I know that out of all of Heavenly Father's children, He sent Devin to you for a reason...no one could parent him better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kid has good insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keolani, that is the best gift you could receive this season. It is true, you are an amazing Mom and abviously that shows in his very mature outlook and attitude on life!!! What a neat kid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made my cry...how sweet! Obviously you are an amazing parent, because all of your children are wonderful people. I'm sure Rob factors in there somewhere too.... hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete