Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Twilight

Before the backlash that is bound to come my way I want to go on the record as saying..I LIKE THE TWILIGHT SERIES. I have read them twice, I let my kids read them and I'm looking forward to the movie. I just wondered if I'm the only one at all concerned about message of these books. Particularly the first one. Is no one concerned that this young girl is ready to give up everything, her family, ability to have a family, even her humanity for some kid in her science class? During most of the first book all she knows about him is that he is dangerous, secretive, and most importantly, beautiful. Don't any of you think that it's unhealthy for a young girl to completely break down when her boyfriend leaves? I don't even think it's healthy for me to break down like that if, heaven forbid, my husband were to leave me. I do appreciate the opportunity the books provided for me to discuss these issues with my teenage daughter. I've enjoyed being able to tell why I don't think Jacob is a jerk for fighting for Bella. I even think he would have been a better choice. Her argument was that they were "made for each other" and that they knew it the moment they met. Is that what I want my daughter to believe? Do I want her to think that it is romantic for a guy to be as controlling as Edward is? That dangerous is sexy and stable is boring? I would rather her think it is romantic to fall in love with your best friend. I want her to think it's romantic to have a guy that trusts her and respects her enough to let her make her own decisions. After Edward came back, I got more comfortable with the relationship because I feel like they took the time to get to know each other. It got even better when they were married. Maybe I just feel that when you have chosen your spouse, you choose them over all else. But some kid in your science class? One that hides things from you and tries to control you? I don't think so! And for her to decide that her mother is too weak to ever see her again irritates me to no end. Give the woman enough credit to give her the chance. It's amazing what a mother can deal with to be with her child. I wonder, if you were Renee would you be such a fan? Bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on most of your points. I read the series as a married adult without thinking about having a child interested in reading them. I wasn't on the look-out while reading them, I just enjoyed them. I don't think Bella was thinking about what she was giving up, but what she was gaining...The love of her life, and a family. I think Bella's family with Renee and Charlie was so screwed up that a cozy family like the Cullens was inviting. I didn't see their relationship as controlling as much as I did protective. He loved her so much he over-protected her and he only hid things from her because he wasn't allowed to tell her. I think young people are smarter then we give them credit for. I think they, like us, know what's real and what's fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've already had this conversation, so your thoughts don't surprise me at all. It's always so interesting to see different points of view after one has finished reading a book. That's why a book club can be SO MUCH FUN. Just sayin.
    I read it each time for entertainment only so I can't say that I've thought too much about the concepts and how they affect other women/young women. If I start viewing books in this sense, I'd have to ban my daughter from reading harry potter because there is NO WAY I'd ever let her leave me to go to a school in the middle of nowhere so she could learn to be a witch. And if that happened she'd be out about 500 reading counts points. :)

    ReplyDelete