Sunday, November 30, 2008

Best Christmas gift ever

When my family lived in Hawaii some friends made my parents 1 or 2 (I forget) reel to reel Christmas tapes. This is what we listened to my whole life at Christmas time. Over and over and over. I'm not sure I ever knew there were other options. We listened to them long past the point that reel to reels were even around. In middle and high school my friends all thought it was the weirdest thing and, now that I think of it, it was kinda weird to have this huge piece of equipment hanging around to use for 1 month a year. I think my mom tried to put them on cassette at one point but there just came a time in the mid 90's when the reel to reel machine died and we never heard our music again. A couple of years ago my sister, Kirstin, did what must have been hours of internet research and found all of our music and put it on CD's for all of us. I wouldn't have even known where to start looking. We had no idea what this stuff was. She labeled most of it: Christmas with Conniff, Do-Re-Mi Children's Choir, Ray Conniff and the Conniff Singers: We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Andy Williams Christmas Album. How random is that? I've never even heard of most of that. How much music did she have to listen to to find what she was looking for. The most impressive one is just labeled Hawaiian Christmas Music. What would you even type into your search box? "high pitched women singing a mix of Hawaiian and English Christmas songs?" Of course that one is my favorite. It's on right now and it was the first Christmas song Courtney played this year while we were there for Thanksgiving. Rob and the kids humor me but I can tell they don't get the same delight as I do in listening to my Christmas music while 20+ CD's of other Christmas music gets dusty on the shelf. Mele Kalikimaka everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Now that's dedication to the Christmas music of Christmas' past! I bet that took a lot of work. What a nice sister she can be.

    ReplyDelete