Monday, October 13, 2008

I know there's a line. I just don't know where it is.

Today I decided it was time to...GASP... go through Devin and Siri's rooms and clear out outgrown clothes. Well, we all know what happens then. The snowball effect. How can I stop with clothes when I see broken toys from 5 years ago. My problem is that I decided way back before I even had children that I would be respectful of their privacy and their stuff (until they prove to be untrustworthy and then all bets are off.) As a result I've always felt guilty getting rid of the kids stuff without permission, even when they were two. I now realize that two is too young to get to make decisions that affect the pack-rattiness (oh yeah, I said it) of my house. But now they are old enough to have a say and I've created monsters. They just haven't learned how to say goodbye to anything. The other day I had one in tears because I wouldn't let her save the cheesy little bottle that the kool-ade drinks come in. So now I realize it is time to take it upon myself to just start chucking. No more having them come in with me and telling me what can and can't go. But where do I draw the line? How am I to decide what is a real treasure and what is a "I'm gonna hang on to this just to annoy my mother" treasure. I'd be so angry if someone just came in and purged my room of all my stuff but I think they would be relieved not to have to live with it all. So, I'm going in. Wish me luck and when you hear the screams, know it's coming from my house.

4 comments:

  1. Half the stuff they probably won't even know is missing. Questionable things I might keep in an undisclosed location until you're sure it's safe for chucking...or not. Put on your rubber gloves and nose plug and dig in! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I say get rid of it all. That is one thing I learned when living in a small apartment for too long....When in doubt, throw it out!!! Of course maybe that is why my kids don't take very good care of their things. I am with Shannon, they may not even notice. Oh goodluck, I love that kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY kids have never asked for anything I've gotten rid of....and I get rid of alot of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say "Out of sight, out of mind!" If there's so much that you have to get of stuff, they won't miss what's not there. They'll more likely be able to see what is still there. My kids never dig into their toys until I go through and purge them. I get rid of the junk and then they can actually get to what they want to play with!

    ReplyDelete